Thursday, October 18, 2012

Always an adventure...

The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. 

           Proverbs 16:9

    There are so many courses that each of us could take in life. I can't count the number of times I thought I would take one path and God directed me toward another. The good news was and is...God's path is always better. 
      And so we step out... out of our comfort zone, out of the familiar, out of the "sensible" even, to follow where ever that path leads.
    And so our journey has taken a turn. Next year for approximately 8 months we will live and serve in Jacmel, Haiti. 
    Why? 
    Well, there's all the practical reasons - I will have the privilege of completing my graduate degree in social work. I get to spend 8 months assessing, planning, and guiding women's sustainable development programs, counseling programs, and marriage and parenting programs, with the Lutheran Church of Haiti. The kids get to experience a new culture and learn things I can never teach them. Dave and I will have the opportunity to minister to people who have so little, the least we can give them is ourselves. 
   But...the most important factor is God's call in our lives. That's it. We simply feel called to go. The Spirit spoke in the quiet places of both my heart and Dave's, and so we go. 
   
Sometimes, although you may have 12 reasons to go and do, the only one that really matters is that God has called you.


No comments:

Post a Comment