Monday, August 12, 2013

Malaria pills, Sensory Integration, and Claiming God's Promises

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
                                                         Matthew 19:26

     2 weeks and counting! It's malaria pill day! We tried sprinkling it in yogurt...

   


       Not so much! Yuck.

     Our sweet Zeke. We have been testing him to his limit, it seems! See Zeke has various sensory sensitivities. I could use the word disorder, but I avoid it. He doesn't need me to name it. He just needs me to understand it. 
     I can not thank enough the speech and occupational therapists that have worked with Zeke and I the last year. They are a gift from God, providing ideas, support, and most of all encouragement.
     We've been able to identify certain things Zeke just isn't able to deal with well...
         birds chirping and various nature noises
         groups of people chatting simultaneously
         eating (in general)
         different textures of bedding, clothes, chairs, you name it
         sitting with his legs dangling
    I could keep going, but it's a bit boring for you I'm sure. 
    So, let's take the extremely sensitive child and move him out of everything familiar. Oh wait, we haven't even done that yet! 
     And then I remembered these verses. Some of my favorites. Nothing is impossible with God. God may have been talking to the disciples. They may have been addressing the rich man entering heaven, but these verses I know were written for me. And for you!
     Nothing is impossible with God. In fact, God doesn't just promise that it's not impossible. He also promises that if it is of Him, then it's good. So I can be assured. Is our listening closely to God's Spirit and His call to go to Haiti (no matter how brief) of God? Is Zeke a beautiful, wonderful child of God? Then God will make it good. It may not look like the good I prefer, i.e. no stress, super easy and smooth, but it is Good...because it's God.
    So this afternoon Zeke finished his malaria yogurt in popsicle form, because that's what worked and God reminded me that He's got this all under control.
       
       

 

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you as you get ready to leave! Missed you at YMT this weekend.

    ReplyDelete